In the final episode of 2020, Jade and Sarah talk about how to deal with Christmas when you’re single. Jade answers a question from a listener who just got dumped before the holidays, and is dreading being asked about her boyfriend at Christmas parties.
- Buy yourself something awesome this Christmas (or whenever). Check out our gift guide here.
- We talked about Instagram somewhere so here is our Instagram page.
- Benefits of silk pillows – a dermatologist reckons they actually do something good for your skin. Here’s where to get one.
The story of the biological clock
- The story of the biological clock is the story about science and sexism—about how assumptions about gender can shape scientific research, and how scientific discoveries can be used to serve sexist goals. Let’s a look at how this metaphor came to shape how we think about women:
- Conversations about the “biological clock” pushed women toward motherhood.
- The metaphor suggested that women who competed with men professionally and were also mothers would do so at a disadvantage.
- Being female has its limitations, its weaknesses, dictated by female fertility.
- Reproduction becomes an exclusively female concern.
- Written by Catherine Aponte Psy.D. in The Myth of the Biological Clock.
Couples who overshare on social media
- Research shows couples who overshare on social media are more likely to be insecure in their relationship.
- Here is the study.
Research says women are happier if single
- “We do have some good longitudinal data following the same people over time, but I am going to do a massive disservice to that science and just say: if you’re a man, you should probably get married; if you’re a woman, don’t bother.”
I just got dumped 2 weeks before Christmas and now I’m dreading being asked about my boyfriend at all of the Christmas Parties. How do I navigate this shit storm?
- Things to say when people ask about how you’re single/ fertility.
- Get fucked.
- Anyone can get a partner. I want an actual good one.
- Being single is fucking great.
- When are you going into a nursing home?
- Actually this is a very sensitive issue for me, and it upsets me a lot that you have brought it up. (Say whatever the fuck you feel!)
- Ultimately know it’s not about you. It’s about them being out of touch.
- If you need to speak with someone about how you’re feeling, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636
“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
– Dalai Lama
Buddist Proverb about a farmer, his son and their horses: “We’ll See.” Read it here.
“A relationship doesn’t have to end up in a funeral home or a maternity ward for it to have been worth your time.” @dansavage